Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Decade (Sort-Of) Of Travels

I LOVE to travel. I think most photographers probably do. Fortunately for me, my family also loves to travel and thus has blessed me with many opportunities to see a large portion of the United States and beyond. This time of year always puts me in "slump mode", because it is a photographers dead time. And, it's been a pretty uninspiring winter so far! I've been missing taking photos for myself, so I decided to look through all my vacation photos from over the past decade (and by decade, I mean since 2005 when I got my first digital camera ;). I thought it may be fun to post some of my favorite photos from my favorite places. I started this task a few hours ago, and realized this is probably going to have to be a multi-part blog. Where to start? May as well go chronological!! 


Disclaimer: These are MY favorite photos; personal taste. When I take vacation photos, I take them for no one other than myself. I don't try to sell (though I don't turn down a sale either ;), therefore I have no one to please but myself. Maybe you'll like them, maybe you won't. Hopefully either way, you'll enjoy viewing/reading about some of my travels.

2004: Hawaii
My first photo is actually one from 2004, making my quest a LITTLE closer to a decade. 8 years counts, right? This photo is my favorite from our trip to Hawaii for my senior year of high school. I loved Hawaii. I want very much to go back. I was not pleased with my photos from this trip; it turns out, I didn't know nearly as much about photography as I thought I did! Who knew that putting your camera on "automatic" wasn't the best way to get results? Hmph. If only I knew then what I know now...oh well, life goes on! This was shot with a FILM rebel...that's right I said film! My first SLR was film, and I loved it. I still have it, because I get way too attached to things and have never gotten rid of any of my cameras, no matter how outdated...I figure eventually they'll be one of those neat old antique cameras I so desperately seek now. Off topic a bit? I think so. Ok, here is the photo:

There's something almost always pleasing about a sunset photo. Even though they are probably one of the easiest, less creative photos you can take, they are also always beautiful and pleasing to the eye. In fact, I'm working on a post made up entirely of sunset/sunrise photos.

2005: Florida/Bahamas
Shortly after our Hawaii trip, my good friend Sarah invited me on a Bahama cruise for Spring Break. Woot woot! Do I ever pass up a free trip? That would be a NO. (This trip was in exchange for me taking Sarah to Texas the previous year--it was cold, windy, and there were jelly fish everywhere in Texas preventing us from swimming...I got the WAY better end of this deal!!) While in Hawaii, I attempted to take photos of a gecko, but unfortunately they turned out absolutely terrible.

Before our cruise and again after, we spent some time around the great state of Florida. We got to tour the Everglades which was very firmly on my bucket list and therefore a dream come true for me! I was a little nervous walking amongst the alligators, but there were plenty of elderly people and children around-- I figured if nothing else, I could at least out run them ;). JK!

Anyways, while on one of the trails I found another gecko! You may wonder why I wanted so badly to get a photo of a gecko--it just so happens I was a big reptile/amphibian fan. I still think they are super cute. And, I was convinced that the gecko pictures I took in Hawaii were going to be amazing, and they were terrible (thank you digital!).

I spent as much time with that little gecko as I could making sure I got SOMETHING decent. After locking out the world around me to capture him, I was shocked when I stood up to find I was surrounded about about 5 other photographers patiently waiting to photograph the gecko as well. I had never felt so small, rocking out my digital rebel and cheap lens. They all had giant L series lenses and mono pods, and the cool "photographers hats". Oh well, I liked my photo despite having cheap equipment!!

Shot in 2005
2006: Florida
In 2006, my family was hosting a foreign exchange student from Moldova. They decided to bring her to Florida and invited me and my college roommate at that time. I decided not to be too tied down by cameras this trip since we were just going to Disney World. However, I did take my favorite ever POINT AND SHOOT photo! Haha! This is the only photo I've ever taken with a point and shoot that I have bothered to edit and actually am kind of proud of. My photography professors would be so ashamed! I don't care how it was taken, I like the feel of it, and I think it's kind of fun. Believe it or not, taken at Disney World. Gotta say, this one is ALL in the editing; you wouldn't recognize the original. I really wish the last palm tree wasn't cut off, but I'm not sure I even realized I had taken this photo to be honest. Sometimes, you just get lucky, other times you have to work at it.

Shot in 2006
Bored yet?? I'll keep going :)

2007: Maine
I had pretty high expectations of Maine. We were in for a bit of a let down. Not because Maine isn't beautiful, because it is. But it rained. And rained. And when it wasn't raining, it was hot and humid and full of mosquitos. Maine was the vacation where I learned how to change my perspective. Maine was where I learned that it doesn't have to be bright and sunny to get beautiful photos. In fact, sometimes you can get your best photos. While in Maine, I shot 2 (count them TWO) shots that I was proud of. It turns out, other people were as well. I entered this one of the ship in the Heart of Iowa Photographers Conference and it received a Merit. It also won me first place amongst first and second year photography students for first semester print competition. This second one didn't win any awards, but did sell well at an art auction fund raiser! This is also the trip where I learned just how easy fire work photos are. 

 Shot in 2007



Well, my husband just informed me that the Super Bowl is on now. I guess it's time to go be American and watch! I will continue on this travel adventure another time! I have many big trips still left to post and some will probably have to be their own entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment