Sunday, February 12, 2012

Baby Trice

Yesterday I had the privilege of photographing the newest addition to my extended family, Trice Reddick Elliott. Trice is my cousin Megan and her husband J.J.'s son. Megan and JJ are huge Cyclone fans, so obviously ISU photo's were a must!

This session took right around three hours. We found that the space heater was magic for little Trice! He wasn't too sure at the start of the session, but with a little patience we got some great shots.

One shot in particular that I've been wanting to do is a shot with scales. I've had this idea for a fairly long time, but wanted to use a baby of my cousins. Megan was the first cousin to have a baby that I could photograph as a newborn since getting the studio. My grandpa collected tons of scales throughout his life. When he passed away last year, all the cousins took a scale in memory of him. There were over 200 scales, but only 11 of us, so there are still plenty left over :).

The photo with the scale was a bit challenging. I wanted the baby in a hanging scale, but obviously didn't want to put the baby in harms way. So, I took a series of photographs and only had Trice in one. The photo Trice was actually in didn't have any other scales in it, and the scale he was laying on was setting on a box being held by his dad. Here is a behind the scenes look on the making of the scale photo.



1) The first shot I took was one of JJ holding the scale to Trice's actual weight. 
2 and 3) I took shots of of the set up with JJ on each side. That way, I could combine the two photos and the full set appear in the final.
4) The photo of Trice was taken with no scales. I replaced the scales with a wooden box set up to about the height of where I wanted him to end up. You'll see JJ is holding the scale so the chains would be up and is also super close to keep Trice safe. The baby was never really hanging. 

After taking all the photos, I combined them all in Photoshop. The red boxed area is what I used from each photo. Here is the final product:

Now, this was my first composite image, so I know it's not perfect. I'm not usually big on extreme Photoshop manipulation, but this was a shot I wanted to get in honor of our grandpa. 

Here are a few more photos from the shoot:




My favorite so far! 


No comments:

Post a Comment